Saturday, January 10, 2009

Project: Remote Capture (Part 2)

As I noted yesterday, I am working on a project setting up remote capture for my Canon 20D on my Asus eee PC using Linux freeware. Based on initial research, I will be jumping through quite a few hoops to get this project up and running.

However, for those of you with a lap top computer running Windows or Apple OS X, there are a few easier options.

Note that Canon includes a remote capture utility in the EOS Utility software with their DSLRs and Powershot models. The software is available here as well.

I have heard mixed reviews on the Canon software, so I guess I will have to try it for myself on my wife's laptop or from my desk top to assess how it performs vs. my Linux solution.

Nikon publishes Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 software that apparently works well with Nikon cameras but they do not provide it with the camera and it must be purchased separately. It is available from Amazon for about $160. Appears to be both Windows and Apple compatible.

Another commercial option (PC only) is DSLR Remote Pro by Breeze Systems - $95.00, works with Windows Vista or XP, works with all Canon DSLRs including such oldies as the D30, D60 and the original Digital Rebel (300D), and there are versions for Nikon 300D, Nikon D90 plus preliminary support for Nikon D700 and Nikon D3, and another for Canon Powershot cameras. This product has good reviews and there is a free 15 day free trial available for download.

No comments:

Post a Comment