Sunday, January 11, 2009

Project: eee PC Remote Capture -Part 3

Well, I am making some progress on the eee PC remote capture project. (See Part 1 and Part 2 here) I succeeded in configuring the eee PC with eeebuntu.

Screenshot of eeebuntu


The eee PC doesn't have a CD drive from which to run the Linux installation disk (iso). So, I had to copy the iso to a bootable USB flash drive and run the installation from there. I was afraid this was going to be a hassle requiring me to find, download,and run Linux based formatting and partitioning software, but it as it turned out is was super easy.

I downloaded the iso from eeebuntu.org . They have 3 versions available for download. Standard, Netbook, and Base. I chose Netbook and it was about a 900 meg download. Liliputing has an excellent guide to creating an eeebuntu iso on a USB flash drive and a link to UNetbootin at sourceforge, which is a general iso creation utility . UNetbootin truly did all the work. Just click the buttons as outlined by the Liliputin guide and UNetbootin does the rest.

Screenshot of UNetbootin


The whole process after downloading the iso from eeebuntu.org took about a half an hour including updating gphoto2 and related programs that I hope to be using for the remote capture. Unfortunately my experience with gphoto2 has not been as smooth. I will outline some of my difficulties next time, and hopefully by then i will have solutions to the problems I am experiencing.

As always, wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment